[VIDEO] 75 Dogs Killed in Devastating Texas Pet Resort Fire
This is such a heartbreaking story.
A fire broke out at a Georgetown, Texas pet resort on Saturday night claiming the lives of 75 dogs.
Twenty-five firefighters responded to the fire after the department received multiple 911 calls of flames at the resort at approximately 10:56 p.m. on Saturday. Crews arrived on the scene within 4.5 minutes and discovered heavy fire and smoke.
Georgetown Fire Chief John Sullivan told KVUE-TV in Austin they were unable to save any of the dogs inside the resort.
"I’m shocked. I’ve been doing this for 29 years and this is the first incident that I’ve had where we’ve lost so many pets. And, again, I hate to use that term because, to me, a pet is a lot more than a pet. It is the closest friend. And I wish I could convey my internal emotions adequately," Sullivan said, adding, "I just wish I could go back in time to make it better."
This is such a sad and tragic story. Some people put up memorials at the resort and shared pictures of their pets on social media.
The fire is still under investigation by the Georgetown Fire Department.
I don't want to lay blame, but I have to question why nobody present at the resort at night. The story says they do "not have staff on-site 24 hours a day". Is this standard procedure for dog boarding facilities? Also, the story says the fire department could not find evidence of fire system installed in the building. If someone left me with 75 dogs at a place I owned, I'd probably find money to get a sprinkler system installed and have an attendant there overnight.
What are your thoughts on the loss of these 75 dogs? Are you heartbroken for their owners? Could this have been prevented? Tell us what you think on Facebook or use our station app.