Top 10 Reasons San Angelo Is A Great Place To Live
I’ve noticed an awful lot of San Angelo “bashing” on social media lately. It’s been happening for quite a while but lately it’s gotten really bad.
Lots of complaints about property taxes, the SAISD bond, road and street conditions, certain businesses, etc.
My family loves it here and, by the way, EVERY place has something that people like to complain about.
So, from someone who loves San Angelo, here are my top 10 reasons why I think San Angelo is a great place to live.
- Cost of living is considerably less than almost anywhere else I’ve lived. There will be some who constantly complain about something, i.e. property taxes
- You can get to one side of town to the other in less than 15 minutes, usually. (Unless you get caught by a train. However, trains mean ‘progress’ and that’s a good thing.)
- Pretty low crime, considering it’s a WHOLE lot worse elsewhere.
- Access to Starbuck’s. I know, lame reason but it is MY list after all.
- No Interstate (at least for now). Interstate highways make it easy for good folks to visit. But it’s also easier for criminals to come visit.
- Low unemployment. I know it’s a double edge sword for many small businesses. It’s tough hiring quality employees. Most of those are already working elsewhere. So that means employers must compete for employees rather than the other way around.
- Small town feel yet lots of entertainment options. Sure, I miss professional sports. But we have the Rams and Belles in the fall, winter and spring and Arlington is not that far.
- The finest school system in West Texas. OK, I may be biased but SAISD has prepared my older kids for Angelo State and continues to prepare my younger ones. Which bring me to…
- Angelo State and Howard College. Brian May and everyone at ASU has done an incredible job helping turn Angelo State into one of the finest universities anywhere. And Howard College is very close to my heart and continues to grow and prepare hard working people for their first careers or new careers. The two have built a fantastic relationship.
- It’s home. We decided to stay in San Angelo because it is a fantastic place to raise our kids. We love it here.
So, for those of you who hate San Angelo. I have a simple solution. Move.