Pickleball Now in San Angelo!
What is Pickleball? We have a few details on this new to San Angelo game and there's now a Pickleball Court at Santa Rita Park, 1111 S. Madison Street!
Pickleball is a paddle sport created for all ages and skill levels. The rules are simple and the game is easy for beginners to learn, but can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for experienced players.
1. A fun sport that combines many elements of tennis, badminton and ping-pong.
2. Played both indoors or outdoors on a badminton-sized court and a slightly modified tennis net.
3. Played with a paddle and a plastic ball.
A Game for Everyone
The USAPA currently estimates there are now over 100,000 players actively playing pickleball.
· Pickleball facilities are located in all 50 states.
· Many kids and teenagers play it in physical education classes in middle and high schools.
· Seniors enjoy the social aspects and the ability to stay active in towns and retirement communities.
· Tennis, racquetball and ping pong players love the competitive nature of the sport and regularly participate in competitive tournaments.
Pickleball was invented in 1965 on Bainbridge Island, a short ferry ride from Seattle, WA. Three dads – Joel Pritchard, Bill Bell, and Barney McCallum -whose kids were bored with their usual summertime activities are credited for creating game. Pickleball has evolved from original hand made equipment and simple rules into a popular sport throughout the US and Canada. The game is growing internationally as well with many European and Asian countries adding courts.
To learn more, go to www.usapa.org/.