Kids Eat Free This Summer!
Kids Eat FREE Summer Meal program, a project of Tom Green County Hunger Coalition and sponsored by the Texas Hunger Initiative -San Angelo Region, will offer free lunch during July and August in various neighborhoods. Churches, nonprofit organizations, businesses and many volunteers partner to provide the meals and service for this program. If interested in volunteering contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 374-1443.
“For many kids, summertime means food, friends and fun. For families who count on school breakfast and lunch, however, the summer months can be stressful and family food budgets have to be stretched even further,” said Betty Teston, Child Hunger Outreach Specialist. “During the summer, kids can also lose out on several months of learning and physical activity that they would normally get at school.”
The Kids Eat FREE Summer Meal Program offers free lunch meals to all kids and teens ages 18 and younger during the months of July and August. Almost 60% of all students in Tom Green County qualify for free and reduced-price meals during the school year. Since 2010, the goal for Kids Eat FREE has been to feed more children during the summer when school was not in session.
Summertime should be a stress-free time for parents and kids, full of food, friends and fun. Free Lunch can help. Families can visit www.sanangelohunger.org, call 211 to find the nearest meal site.
- Meals are FREE to children and teens ages 18 and younger who come to a Kids Eat FREE site
- Many sites offer educational and recreational activities for kids of all ages to participate in so they can eat, hang out with friends and take part in activities offered
- Parents don’t need to apply to the program to get a free summer meal for their kids. They can just bring their child to a Kids Eat FREE site in their neighborhood
The Texas Hunger Initiative (THI) is a capacity-building and collaborative project, housed in the Baylor University School of Social Work that seeks to develop and implement strategies to end hunger through policy, education, community organizing and community development. THI seeks to make the state food secure by ensuring that every individual has access to three healthy meals a day, seven days a week. THI convenes federal, state and local government stakeholders with non-profits, faith communities and business leaders to create an efficient system of accountability that increases food security in Texas.
Kids Eat – FREE 2014 July – August
A Project of the Tom Green County Hunger Coalition
Monday thru Friday - Choose the Lunch Meal Site Most Convenient for Your Children
SAN ANGELO: · Alta Loma Neighborhood: Gospel Ministries to Children
1410 Garfield · July 7-August 15 · 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Austin/Santa Rita Neighborhood: St. Paul Presbyterian Church
11 North Park St. · June 30-August 22 (except July 4) · 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Belaire Neighborhood: St. Margaret Catholic Church
2619 Era Avenue · July 7-August 22 · 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Blackshear Neighborhood: Northside Boys and Girls Club
1802 North Lillie · July 1-3, July 28- August 1, 4-8 · 12:00 noon – 12:30 pm
- Bradford Neighborhood: Calvary Baptist Church
2401 Armstrong · July 7-August 22 · 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Crockett Neighborhood: Trinity Lutheran Church
3536 YMCA Drive · July 7-August 15 · 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Fannin Neighborhood: Church of Pentecost
2028 Edmund Blvd. · July 7-August 15 · 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Fort Concho Neighborhood: Fort Concho Officers Quarters 8
300 Block of East Ave. D · July 7-August 15 · 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Goliad Neighborhood: Lakeview Baptist Church
306 E. 39th · July 7- August 22 · 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Reagan Neighborhood: Immanuel Baptist Church
90 East 14th Street · July 7-August 22 · 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Rio Vista Neighborhood: Southside Boys and Girls Club
2762 Ben Ficklin · July 1-3, July 28-August 1, 4-8 · 12:00 noon – 12:30 pm
· San Jacinto Neighborhood: River Pointe Apartments Community Room
1173 Benedict Dr. · July 7-August 15 · 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
CARLSBAD/WATER VALLEY: St. Therese Catholic Church Hall
11774 Beaumont, Carlsbad · July 7-August 15 · 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
GRAPE CREEK: Church of Pentecost
8361 Hwy 87 N · July 7-August 15 · 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
For most current meal site information, call 211 or visit www.sanangelohunger.org.
The Tom Green County Hunger Coalition is affiliated with the Texas Hunger Initiative at Baylor University - www.texashunger.org.
Kids Eat-FREE meal sites are funded by churches, non-profits, businesses, and private donations