Hazardous Household Waste Collection Event
This Saturday, Nov. 21, SAFE Recycling Center will collect hazardous household materials from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at its 702 Warehouse Road location.
Among the items that will be accepted are:
- Acids, drain and oven cleaners.
- Antifreeze, gasoline, diesel, brake fluids, transmission fluids, oil and oil filters.
- Paints, thinners, metal polishes and solvents and degreasers
- Lawn and garden chemicals, such as fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides.
- Poisons such as rodent killers.
- Pool chemicals.
- Aerosol cans, including inhalers.
- Household cleaning products.
- Propane tank, such as for small grills and camping cookers.
- Mercury, such as is found in older thermometers.
Items that won’t be accepted include:
- Containers that are not clearly labeled specifying the contents or are larger than five gallons.
- Biologically active substances and radioactive or reactive materials.
- Smoke detectors and extinguishers.
- Products containing dioxins or 2-4-5T.
- Waste generated by business or industry.
- Explosives, fireworks or ammunition.
- Electronics and appliances.
- Construction or yard waste.
The effort is co-sponsored by the City of San Angelo. For more information, call San Angelo Friends of the Environment (SAFE) at 325-659-0722 or visit saferecycle.netfirms.com.