Don Williams Tribute Album, ‘Gentle Giants’, in the Works
Gentle Giants will feature 11 re-imagined versions of some of Williams' biggest hits: Isbell and wife Amanda Shires will take on "If I Needed You," while Stapleton and wife Morgane will try their hands at "Amanda." Gentle Giants will also include the voices of the Pistol Annies, Dierks Bentley, Lady Antebellum and Alison Krauss; a full track listing can be seen below.
Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams is being produced by Garth Fundis, who is no stranger to the country artist: Fundis started working with Williams back in the 1970s, making him the ideal choice to help today's country stars bring their own style to Williams' long list of hits.
In May of 2016, Williams made the decision to retire from country music: “It’s time to hang my hat up and enjoy some quiet time at home," he said at the time. "I’m so thankful for my fans, my friends and my family for their everlasting love and support.” Williams first earned musical attention in the late 1960s, as a member of the pop-folk trio the Pozo Seco Singers; the group earned six hits on the pop charts. Between 1974 and 1991, Williams earned at least one major hit every year.
Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams is set for release on May 26; the following day, May 27, is Williams' 78th birthday.
Gentle Giants: The Songs of Don Williams Track Listing:
1. "Tulsa Time" - Pistol Annies
2. "I Believe in You" - Brandy Clark
3. "We've Got a Good Fire Goin'" - Lady Antebellum
4. "Some Broken Hearts Never Mend" - Dierks Bentley
5. "Amanda" - Chris Stapleton feat. Morgane Stapleton
6. "Till the Rivers All Run Dry" - Alison Krauss
7. "Love Is on a Roll" - John Prine feat. Roger Cook
8. "If I Needed You" - Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires
9. "Maggie's Dream" - Trisha Yearwood
10. "Lord I Hope This Day Is Good" - Keb' Mo'
11. "Good Ole Boys Like Me" - Garth Brooks
New Albums Coming in 2017