Angelo State Professors Draw Rave Reviews For Newly Published Book
Doctors Jeffrey Dailey, Monica Koenigsberg, and James Phelps, faculty in the Angelo State University Department of Security Studies and Criminal Justice, have published a new textbook titled “Border Security” through Carolina Academic Press.
Descriptive and analytic, Border Security is designed to offer students in border and homeland security and criminal justice a balanced and up-to-date overview of border security, as well as the constant evolution it has experienced over the past 109 years.
The book has drawn rave reviews from such experts as retired U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Robert Scales, former commander of the Army War College; El Paso Times journalist Diana Washington Valdez, author of “The Killing Fields: Harvest of Women” about violence on the El Paso/Juarez border; and Dr. Robert Bunker, distinguished visiting professor and Minerva Chair in the Army War College Strategic Studies Institute.
In the book, the authors describe and discuss:
- Various definitions of “borders,” including geographical, political and economic
- What “border security” actually is, in relation to different types of borders and how the concept developed historically
- The classical concepts of border security, including the Walled City, Hadrian’s Wall, the Maginot and Siegfried Lines, and the Great Walls of China
- U.S. Border Patrol operations from 1904 to present day
- Present-day physical border security, including the various border fences, Operation Gatekeeper, and the effects of illegal immigration
- Maritime border security
- The relationship between border security and transnational crime
- Transportation security as impacted by borders
- “Solutions” to security along both the southern and northern borders of the U.S.
Phelps is an assistant professor of homeland security; Dailey is an assistant professor of intelligence, security studies and analysis; and Koenigsberg is an associate professor of criminal justice. All three hold doctorates in criminal justice from Sam Houston State University.
Border Security is available online through Carolina Academic Press at www.cap-press.com/ and on Amazon.com and comes with a full instructor’s manual and supporting lecture materials available through the publisher.